August 29, 2011
As of noon today, approximately 785 O & R customers in Nyack remain without power. They are concentrated in the areas of West End Avenue, Haven Court, Gail Drive, Burd St., and Gedney Street (principally some of the side streets). The rest are “onesy-twosies.”
If you are still without power, you can check O & R’s website which now has a map that gives information on where the outages are, how many homes are affected, and an estimated time when power will be restored. Go to www.oru.com, and click on “Storm Information Center” and then “Outage Map”. This map will be updated every 15 minutes and will be able to give you your estimated restore time. Please note that these times are worst case scenarios so it is likely power will be restored earlier than specified.
The main number for customers to use to call O & R to report specific outages remains (845) 434-4100. O & R is also making wet and dry ice available and will notify us this afternoon as to where it can be picked up. The next conference call is scheduled for today at 3:00 P.M.
The following is a summary of the just-completed conference call with various Supervisors, Assembly Members, Police Chiefs, Emergency Service personnel, Mayor Kavesh, County Executive Vanderhoef, and staffers for Members of Congress:
Orange and Rockland participants:
1. Neil L. Winter, Jr.
2. Pat Burke
3. Thomas Brizzolara, Public Affairs
O & R Storm restoration efforts:
• 110,000 customers were affected.
• 45,000 have been restored.
• 63,100 customers remain out of service.
• 2,800 work orders are in the pipeline.
• They are aiming for complete restoration by the end of this coming weekend, with the vast majority of customers on-line by Friday night into Saturday.
• The main impediment has been flooding.
• O & R’s main activities for today are cutting trees, clearing lines, and restoring power. Damage assessment teams are sent out in advance of these crews so that the crews, when they get there, are at top efficiency.
Please remember: if your house has lost power due to flooding of its electrical system, O & R will not turn the power back on until your home has been certified by an electrical underwriter.