Building permits and C.O.’s are your assurance and the village’s that your house and the buildings and stores you visit in the Village of Nyack meet the building codes for structural soundness and fire safety.
Where do you get a Building Permit?
At the Building Department, Village Hall, second floor 9 North Broadway, Nyack NY 10960, Office hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
When do you need a Building Permit?
Changes to properties and structures including both new construction and renovations or remodeling require permits under the Code of the Village of Nyack and any work which must conform to the NYS Uniform Code and/or Energy Code. This information offers specific guidelines and examples to help you determine whether you will need permits for planned electrical, plumbing, or structural work on your property.
A Building Permit is Required to:
The Nyack Building Department is here to help property owners with any improvements, so when in doubt, please ask. Call (845) 358 4249 Monday through Friday from 9 am to 5pm or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Any work on property that involves electrical, plumbing or work on any system.
- Erect, construct, enlarge, alter, remove, improve, demolish, or convert a building or structure. This includes, but not limited to, an attached or detached accessory building such as a garage, carport, breezeway, a storage shed, a porch, deck or enclosing an existing porch.
- Convert or change the nature of the use or occupancy of a building or part of a building. This includes establishing a home occupation within a dwelling.
- Install, relocate, or remove interior partitions or walls.
- Repair fire damage.
- Demolish any building (including a garage).
- Install a masonry chimney or metal smokestack.
- Install any business sign.
- Construct or replace a deck.
- Remove trees.
Install any permanent swimming pool (in-ground or above-ground over twenty-four (24) inches in depth. A permanent pool is one which is substantially affixed into or onto the ground, or not easily dismantled for storage or movement to another site.
Install a heating unit, gas furnace, oil heater, incinerator, a wood burning stove or fireplace.