Village of Nyack
Building & Zoning
HOW TO PREPARE FOR YOUR FIRE SAFETY INSPECTION
1. Smoke detectors must be located in each bedroom/sleeping room.
2. Smoke detectors must be in each hallway on each level within the dwelling. And in each
public hallway on each level.
3. Carbon Monoxide alarms must be installed within each dwelling unit on each level. And in
each public hallway on each level (combinations carbon monoxide/smoke alarms are
permitted if they are listed for that use)
4. Exterior fire escapes must be in good working order, tested annually, and free of corrosion.
The landing beneath the fire escape must be kept clear and unobstructed.
5. Fire extinguishers where required must be inspected and retagged annually.
6. Fire sprinkler systems must be inspected/tested annually, (Orangetown inspection form
must be completed by sprinkler contractor)
7. Fire lanes must be maintained at all times, ie: signs/striping in place, and clear of
8. Where a monitored fire alarm system (NFPA 72 compliant) with direct connection to 44-
Control (Rockland Country Fire Dispatch) is present, the system must be inspected/tested
quarterly and a copy of the report forwarded to this office.
9. All hallways, stairwells and exit doors must be kept clear of storage.
10. Exit signs must be illuminated at all times and have a backup power supply of not less than
11. Emergency lights must be functioning when tested and have a backup power supply of not
less than 90 minutes.
12. Open flame cooking is not permitted within 10 feet of any structure. In addition the storage
of propane is not permitted within any structure.
13. The use of slide bolts, or deadbolts with an interior key lock is not permitted on a public exit
Village of Nyack