Marcy Denker, Jim Politi, Kathy Schwarz, Kathy Galione
1. We reviewed the revised letter to the Village Board reporting about the survey and urging them to take action to improve the recycling and waste program. Jim will present it to the Village Board 4/23/15.
2. Village recycling pick up policy is expected to change to weekly in residential district this year. The committee can help the Village develop outreach to notify the public of the change, reinforce the importance of recycling and clarifying the rules and responsibilities of property owners in the business district.
3. “Say no to the bag” Marcy suggested that the VB should be asked to pass a resolution in support of the campaign. We will discuss with Maria.
4. Event recycling. The committee would like to establish a better trash and recycling set up for events, especially street fairs. Clearly labeled green recycling bins and red trash bins with bags in them should be set up side by side in the middle of the thoroughfare. There should be a sign that says what should not go into the containers. Marcy can design a version of the logo that says Sustainble Nyack recycles to affix to the containers.
5. The committee should keep abreast of efforts to establish recycling and composting in Upper Nyack Elementary and composting in the Village of U.N.
6. Kathy Galione described the Repair Café concept, and we discussed sharing the idea with community members who might want to do it at Nyack Center or in one of the churches.