VILLAGE OF NYACK TREE COMMITTEE
Attending: Marcy Denker, Elijah Reichlin-Melnick, Sandra Baptista
1. TREE PLANTING AND MAINTENANCE PROGRAM
a. Five Star and Urban Waters Restoration Grant Program 2016
Website with link to RFP: http://www.nfwf.org/fivestar. Proposal due date is February 3, 2016. Grant amounts are $30,000 to $50,000 for up to two years. Meeting scheduled for January 15th to discuss proposal with potential community partners and volunteers including Cornell Cooperative Extension, Rockland BOCES, Upper Nyack & Nyack public schools, Rockland Conservation & Service Corps (RCSC), and Nyack Hospital. The proposed project needs to be sustainable and replicable in other communities.
b. Pilot Project Planning: A budget and project description need to be drafted for the 2016 Arbor Day tree planting activity.
c. Urban Forestry Grants: Grants cover 100% of the cost of management plans and 75% for tree planting and growing space preparation.
• The Village of Mamaroneck received $50,000 ($25,000 for preparation of a tree management program and $25,000 for a high priority tree maintenance and sidewalk repair initiative).
• City of Schenectady received $40,000 for a tree maintenance project.
• For full list of 2014 NY State grantees, visit: http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/100316.html.
• The Pittsburgh Urban Forest Master Plan is available at: http://treepittsburgh.org/urban-forest-master-plan
d. Village budget for tree planting and maintenance: We discussed preparation of a presentation to the Village Board and plans to continue discussions with Jim Politi and Village Board to develop a budget proposal to fund tree planting and maintenance in the Village. There will be a Village Board meeting on January 28th. Our guess-timated cost of tree planting where the site is already prepared (as in the recent Main Street streetscape) is at least $300 per tree. At start-up budget of $3,000 would cover the costs of planting about 10 trees. Marcy will check with Aric Gorton for information/correction on budgeting for street tree planting.
2. TREE REMOVAL APPLICATION FORM AND TREE ORDINANCE
The questionnaire for arborists should be inserted in the application form to make clear what information the arborist must provide. Our priority is to first focus on fixing/improving the tree removal application form. Once this is accomplished, we’ll address the tree ordinance, replanting, and establishment of a tree fund.
3. TREE CITY USA
Nyack’s Tree City USA signs will be placed in two locations to maximize visibility.