What is the Green Desk?
It’s part of the Village of Nyack Planning Department that coordinates and promotes sustainable development and land use.
What does it mean for development to be sustainable?
It “meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”*
What does the Sustainability Coordinator do?
The Sustainability Coordinator keeps the village focused on opportunities for improving environmental quality in Nyack and working toward to the goal of balancing equity, economy and environment in all decision-making. She is responsible for development of a comprehensive program that incorporates sustainability into all aspects of village operations and community life.
What are some projects that the Green Policy Task Force will take on?
- Assess assets, needs and key areas for improvement, community capacity and potential partnerships.
- Use guidance available from statewide and regional programs including Climate Smart Communities and NYSERDA to achieve objectives.
- Align recommendations with the goals of local and regional sustainability plans.
- Establish baseline data and set benchmarks for energy efficiency, stormwater management and other goals.
- Set up an information sharing system to assure institutional coordination.
- Develop and help to implement pilot and demonstration projects
- Outline a comprehensive program for outreach and education.
- Identify funding opportunities that will support further planning and implementation.