O&R DECLARES STORM ALERT, MOBILIZES AS SEVERE STORMS APPROACH
PEARL RIVER, NY July 3, 2014 3 p.m. — O&R upgraded the Storm Watch it had posted earlier today to a Storm Alert at mid-afternoon and mobilized company crews and contract personnel to repair storm damage and restore electric service as needed.
The National Weather Service has placed the area under a Severe Thunderstorm Watch. The current weather forecast predicts a series of heavy thunderstorms, featuring frequent lightning and strong winds, which can cause electrical equipment damage and interrupt electric service.
The heaviest thunderstorm activity is expected to roar through the region between 6 p.m. and midnight this evening.
To help its customers weather a storm, O&R offers these tips:
- For safety’s sake, don’t touch or approach any downed wire. Assume it is energized and dangerous. Call O&R immediately toll-free 1-877-434-4100. Depending on the situation, you may also want to call your local police to divert traffic until an O&R crew arrives.
- Maintain a distance of at least 50 feet from downed wires and anything they are in contact with including puddles of water and fences. Supervise your children so that they are not in the vicinity and keep pets on a leash.
- If a fallen wire is draped over a car, do not approach the car and make rescue attempts. Remain a safe distance away, and try to keep the occupant of the vehicle calm. If possible, emergency personnel should handle the situation.
- Stock up on non-perishable food, bottled water, manual can opener, baby supplies and pet food. Set your refrigerator and freezer controls to their coldest settings. Fill the bathtub with water.
- Have emergency equipment within reach — portable radio, flashlights, spare batteries, first aid kit, cell phone and important medications. Update your personal list of emergency phone numbers. Keep O&R’s toll-free number 1-877-434-4100 near the phone to report power outages.
If you experience a power outage, don’t assume that O&R automatically knows about it or that someone else will report it. To be sure the outage is reported, please call O&R toll-free at 1-877-434-4100 to let O&R know what happened. The more information you can provide, the more O&R can help you.
Remember, customers can also report outages and check service restoration status through:
- www.oru.comfrom any computer or web-based mobile device.
- O&R mobile app from your iPhone, iPad or Android device
- Text messaging by texting “OUT” to 69678 (myORU) or
For more information, visit O&R’s Storm Center at www.oru.com.