On December 22, 2011, the Village of Nyack adopted a new snow emergency policy which requires all cars to be parked in driveways or public lots throughout much of the village. When a snow emergency is declared, street parking will not be permitted on any village street that falls between Franklin Street and the Hudson River (from West to East) and 5th Ave and Cedar Hill (from North to South). An alert may be declared when two or more inches of snow has fallen. It will be announced on the Village Web site, via email alerts (available through the village web site) and on radio stations covering Rockland County.
For those residents who cannot park in a driveway or a parking lot, vehicles can be parked in the village parking lots at Riverspace, Spear Street, Catherine Street and the Nyack Marina.
“The purpose of this policy is to ensure the public safety and welfare during storm conditions which may cause the Village roads to become hazardous to automobile and pedestrian travel, and to ensure adequate passage and access for Emergency Service vehicles, including but not limited to Police, Fire, Ambulance and other providers.”
You can view the new policy on-line at http://nyack-ny.gov/snow-emergency-policy. The policy requires that there will be no parking on the Village Streets as indicted in the attached law and map upon declaration of a Snow Emergency. The affected streets will be all streets east of Franklin Street, from Cedar Hill Avenue to Fifth Avenue. A map is also online at the above address.
The notification to the public that a Snow Emergency has been declared will be made by:
- The Village website, http://nyack-ny.gov , will post the declaration of a Snow Emergency as well as when it is lifted. You can sign up to get notified by email by going to the Village website, clicking on “Sign up for Alerts”.
- Radio announcements on WHUD 100.7, The Peak 107.1, K104.7, WPMB 92.9, and WGHQ 920, WBNR 1260, WLNA 1420;
- The NY Alert notification system will be used to notify those who have signed on to the system. We encourage you to sign up for the alerts that are offered by going to www.NYAlert.gov and click on “Sign Up for NY-Alerts” on the left side of that page.
- The Village Hotline at (845) 358-5626 will provide a verbal message of the declaration of a Snow Emergency, and will provide a verbal message when it is lifted.
These notification outlets will also announce when the snow Emergency has been lifted.
Off-Street Parking During Snow Emergencies
Once a Snow Emergency has been declared those residents without off-street parking will be allowed to parking in any of the Village’s public parking lots.
- Artopee Way Parking Lot
- Riverspace Parking Lot
- Spear Street Parking Lot
- Catherine Street Parking Lot
- Nyack Marina Parking Lot (south side)
People parked in these lots will have 12 hours after the Snow Emergency has been lifted to move their car(s) out of the lot.